Tuesday 19 March 2013

Final Filming Day in My House

Today was the final filming day for my film 'Live Evil'. The filming took place from 4:00pm to 5:35pm at my house and this time I had to complete the filming on my own without Anika because she had a doctor's appointment. However we still kept in touch on the phone, especially since I needed to know what her log in details were in order for me to get her part of the film onto the DVD.
We were unable to film these scenes previously because they required us to edit what we had already filmed first, since the footage would be used in the scenes when the characters watch the 'film'.
Today I encountered various problems when filming which required me to come up with quick solutions in order to prevent filming from stopping or going over the scheduled time.

These are the problems I had to resolve:
1) Burning filming onto a DVD: Since we decided that splitting up the editing between us would be a good idea since it would speed up the editing process, I needed to log into Anika's computer to access her section of the film in order to burn the entire film (what we have edited so far) onto the DVD. In this case the problem arised when I realised that the new iMac's didn't contain a DVD drive yet, so I decided to use the old iMacs. Unfortunately I was unable to log into my account since my user had been transferred to the new computers. This meant that I could no longer burn the film onto a DVD but filming still needed to continue somehow.
The solution I came up with for this problem was to save the film file onto a hard drive and make the characters in the film watch the 'film' using a laptop instead of a TV. This change would not have a big impact on the film overall since I could easily and quickly redo the scenes with the TV, since they were also located in my house.

2) Memory card with no space: The second problem I was faced with was that half way through filming one of the scenes, the memory card run out of space. At first I tried to see whether there were any clips from our previous scenes which were already saved on the hard drive, that could be deleted from the memory card. Unfortunately there were none. Luckily I remembered that my normal camera had a memory card with a lot of space available for me to film since it was 8GB. Finding my camera didn't take long so I was able to restart filming quickly.

3) Laptop with no battery: The last problem I had to resolve was that, since I had to make a last minute change from using a TV to using a laptop, I did not have time to charge my laptop enough for it to last the amount of time needed for the scenes it would be a part of. This caused the laptop to turn off during the filming for the shot where Rebecca is watching the film on the laptop. Despite having to restart that shot, no other problems took place regarding the laptop since the charger was close by and the shot could be redone quickly since it wasn't very long and included no dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment